The Quaglia Institute for Student Aspirations has a list of 8 conditions that it argues is important in the lives of students.
What do you think? How important are these conditions in our lives? How do these conditions relate to character education and expeditionary education?
"• Belonging means that a student is a valued member of a community while still maintaining his or her uniqueness.
• Heroes are people with whom a student can connect. They have a positive influence and listen to and value students’ ideas.
• Sense of Accomplishment is based on being recognized for different types of success, including hard work and being a good person.
• Fun and Excitement as a condition means students are inspired. Students are actively engaged and emotionally involved in their schoolwork.
• Curiosity and Creativity become evident when students ask “why” or “why not” about the world around them.
• Spirit of Adventure is experienced when students tackle something new without the fear of failure or pressure of success.
• Leadership and Responsibility as a condition happens when students can make decisions and accept responsibility for their actions.
• Confidence to Take Action is the extent to which students believe in themselves and are encouraged to dream about their future, while being motivated to set goals in the present." ~ Russell Quaglia
Also check out the September 2007 issue of American Association of School Superintendents on Personalizing Schools.